Monday, October 22, 2007

Margaret Bourke-White


Today I went to the library and I looked at a bunch of books by different photographers. I looked at Richard Avedon, Brassai, Marth Casanave, Deborah Willis, and Margaret Bourke- White. Most of the books included picture of people. For some reason, picture of people do not interest me very much. I like pictures of architecture, which I have said many times before. After looking at the different books, I did not hesitate when choosing a picture by Margaret Bourke- White. I didn’t even have to look very far to find the picture, since the one I loved was on the cover. The picture is called View from Grillwork. What jumped out at me in this picture was the used of an object like a grill to frame a picture. I love pictures like this. I have tried to take picture using this effect. My first try with this was when I took a picture through the chain-linked fence. Then, over the weekend I took a picture through a grill such as this one of a shadow. I have been trying to figure out what it is about these types of picture that make me love them so much. One reason I can think of is that I like to bring the viewer into my shoes. I want them to see thing not so clearly. I guess I wish to make the viewer go into the picture. I believe it is a risky thing to do in a picture, because you must force them past the object that is stopping their eye from going into the pictures. Also I love the fact that it makes the picture like a puzzle. It breaks apart the picture into many different pieces.
Not only does this picture have the grill method, but behind it is ARCHITECTURE. There is no way I could pass this picture up. The lighting on the building really brings the picture to life. The light highlights the buildings to show the details of them. This picture is not focused on people or the street below. These two things are both left in the shadows of the architectural monstrosities from above. I often criticize myself, because I have the focus of my picture in the middle, but this picture proves to me that sometimes it is okay to do so. If I moved the building to either of the sides I do not believe it would have the same magnificent composition that it does.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Take a look at some of Lee Friedlander's work. A lot of his work frames views in such as way as to frustrate the viewer. As a viewer you have to work at seeing his pictures. It might give you some ideas.